What you get:
- Go beyond the book and learn directly from HCS Head Coach, Luke Humphrey, as well as meet our other coaching staff.
- Meet and greet Hanson’s-Brooks ODP runners (many whom are our coaches)
- Nearly every meal taken care of (expect your dinner on Thursday night)
- Hanson’s Coaching Schwag bag
- Dozens of training clinics including
- Strength for runners session
- Customizing your training
- Marathon physiology
- Go for runs and do some workouts where the nation’s best marathoners have
- Transportation to and from Detroit Metro Airport
Tentative Camp Itinerary
- Athletes arrive mid afternoon. HCS will pick up groups from airport.
- Optional group run/ Hanson’s Thursday night group run at Royal Oak?
- Dinner (athlete’s responsibility)
- 7:00 AM- Leave from hotel. Drive to Stony Creek Metropark
- 7:30 Group Dynamic Warm Up/1-2 miles warm up
- 8:00-9:30: Progression Run/cool down
- 10:30- 12:00: Lecture (Food provided in conference room)
- Marathon Philosophy/Understanding cumulative fatigue
- 12:00-1:00- wrap up/free time
- 1:00-3:00: Lecture/lunch in conference room
- Marathon Physiology
- Metabolic Efficiency
- Training Components and physiological impact
- 3:30-4:30: Strength for runners with Nikki
- 5:30-6:30: Lecture: Avoiding early training pitfalls
- 7:00: Group dinner @ Antonios pizza
- Recovery strategies/periodization
- Meet and greet
- 7:45-9:15 AM: Easy run from hotel (Paint Creek Trail)
- 9:45-11:00: Lecture: Goal Setting/Realistic expectations, new runner vs. veteran
- Breakfast provided
- Understanding what kind of runner you are
- Modifying to fit/stay in philosophy
- General Nutrition
- Taper week/race day nutrition
- (Lunch in conference room)
- 12:00- modifying schedules/staying within the philosophy
- 12:15-1:00- understanding the taper
- 1:15-3:00- Supplemental training, what why and how to add.
- Self Running analysis
- 3:00-5:00- Free time (nap?)
- Keeping logs
- Analyzing training
- Long term planning
- 7:00- Dinner- Rochester Mills Brewery
- Developing mental strength
- Approaching your race
- Meet and greet
7:30 AM: Leave Hotel for run
8:00 AM-10:00: Group Run at Lake Orion (Long Run)
10:00-11:00: Brunch @ CJ’s or Lockharts
Meet and greet
12:30- Leave for airport
Do I need a rental car?
No. If you fly in our designated windows of time, we’ll have a sweet rented out 15 passenger van to pick you up from the airport with. Our host hotel is right in downtown Rochester, so no need for a vehicle while at camp.
Where do I fly into?
If you want to get picked up, we suggest flying into Detroit Metro (DTW). The airport is about a 45 minute drive away from Rochester.
Where should I stay in Rochester?
Our host hotel is at the Royal Park Hotel in downtown Rochester. All clinics will take place at this hotel. Upon signing up for camp, you’ll receive their contact information and instructions for getting our discounted rate rooms.
Do I provide my own meals?
The only meal you’ll need to cover is your dinner on Thursday night. If you have your own fluids/running related food that you’ll need we encourage you to bring. You can also let us know about any restrictions you have and we will see what we can do.
What am I going to learn?
A ton. I tried hard to fit as much as I can into 3 days with you. The main goal is to teach you the principles of the Hanson’s Marathon Method, but to go beyond a one-size fits all discussion. I want you to leave learning how to help yourself be the best runner you can be on all fronts of training.
Need another question answered? Feel free to contact us