Besides actually running, becoming stronger has a profound on your running performance. We talked about it in length in our “Benefits of Strength Training” post. Runners will develop muscle imbalances if left unchecked. Most of us have weak glutes and shins, compared to very strong quads and calf muscles. Often times our hip flexors, abdominals, and back muscles are weak and cause us to lose control of our form during long runs and races (2+ hours). All of these affect performance, and just running more is not going to fix the root issues. We also know that simple strength training can be a major player in saving us from injury, something that all of us have had to deal with!
We’ve written about and discussed a number of times about different strength training topics. Here’s a couple of our more popular videos:
Assessing your running flexibility and strength:
General Core and Strength Training:
If you aren’t sure where to begin with strength training, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We’ve put together 6 week strength training blocks that are general strength, movement based routines that will help you fix imbalances caused by running, improve your overall strength, and develop a strong core. What these also provide is a non-intimidating series of strength routines that you can do on your own, wherever you are, and on your own schedule.
What you get:
- 3 workouts per week/6 weeks (18 different routines!)
- Each routine is 30-40 minutes in length
- PDF’s to save and take with you forever
- Video demonstrations within the PDF to ensure safe and proper form
- Workouts emailed by Coach Nikki on the days you specify over the 6 weeks
- A closed FB group exclusive to you, where you have access to coach Nikki and the whole strength training community
How it Works:
- Purchase a round of 6 Week Strength for Runners
- Choose an appropriate Level
- Level 1
You will work on building a strong foundation in your stabilization, core and lateral muscles you use to run, while also building lean muscle in all the major muscle groups in your body.
- Level 2
You will continue to build your stabilization, core and lateral muscles, along with the major muscle groups in your body. The reps and complexity of the exercises increase in this level. For each muscle group I pair a stable exercise with an unstable one in order to challenge your body and strengthen your running muscles.
- Level 3
You will fine tune the stabilization, core, lateral and big muscle groups you have been working on. Although the reps and program design are similar to level 2, you will feel the difference in the workouts. I designed the workouts to maximize muscle endurance and work your deep stabilization muscle, which will help you become a stronger runner.
- Upon purchase, you’ll be asked a couple questions
- What date do you want to start?
- What days can you strength train?
- After you complete your purchase, you’ll receive an email from us with a form to submit. The form is basic health questions to make sure you are healthy enough to start strength training. You’ll also receive a link to the closed facebook group. If you don’t see an email from us, check your junk mail, or reach out to us.
- Coach Nikki will put your workouts in her personal training software which will then send you your workouts based on the start date and days available that you provided.
- The only thing left to do now is get ready to set some PR’s!